Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Just for today

"Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life."

I have learned the importance of spending time in reflection. For me, I pray on my knees for at least a half hour first thing in the morning and then I do a tenth step inventory, which is looking at my day and keeping it free and clean from resentments, anger, self-pity or anything that could hinder God's light from shining through me.
~
After that, I meditate on God's Word. Typically I focus on the Scripture, "Be still and know that I am God." I start with that, but then cut in down to "Be still and know that I am.." then "Be still.", then "Be...". I sit with the "Be". If I notice that other thoughts are flooding in, I go back to the original line.
~
Sometimes I sit by myself and repeat "Relax/Recover" over and over again before I bring God into my quiet time. It's okay. It prepares me for the next step. It's like dressing up for a date with my husband. I don't need to do that to be with him, but it's fun and makes the time special.

1 comment:

blairshomeschool said...

"Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life."

It's nice that we are writing on this today because it is exactly what I need to do. The holidays have thrown me off track and I can't seem to get back on. Even before I read today's "Just for Today" I was thinking that I just need to sit with the Lord quietly and let Him tell me what I need to get done today and depend on Him for the strength to get it done.

:o) Christine