Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A recovery partner/sponsor

For me, after abstinence, having a sponsor who will guide and direct me with my food first and then with the things that lead me back to the food, is essential for my recovery.
~
I have to say that I tried a lot of different approaches to abstinence, which includes many different food plans and l2-step programs for compulsive overeating and food addiction. I knew that sugar was a problem for me, but it took a long time to be willing to put down flour, wheat, artificial sweeteners and caffeine and to weigh and measure my food.
~
Today, I am active in the 90day program of OA. It fits my needs at this stage of my recovery. I need a serious group of people who are like-minded. I am not only a food addict, but a compulsive overeater. The 90day approach (as I understand it) works for me.
~
I say the "as I understand it" because there are different people in the program who feel differently. Personally, I don't believe that there is a one-size-fits-all food plan or that everyone has to eat only 3 meals. I do 3 meals and a snack, and that's my "abstinent" food plan.
~
I do believe that abstinence is between the sponsee, sponsor and God...and if someone claims 90days of abstinence, that's good enough for me. That qualifies them to share at the meetings.
~
Sorry about that "rabbit trail"...(going off the subject at hand).
~
Back to the subject of today's share: In OA, we hear at meetings, "Sponsorship is one of our keys to success. Sponsors are OA members committed to abstinence and to living the Steps and Traditions to the best of their ability. Sponsors share their programs up to the level of their experience and strengthen their recovery through this service to others. To find a sponsor, look for someone who has what you want, and ask how he or she is achieving it."
~
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.


No comments: