Friday, December 14, 2007

Step 12

Step 12: Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts, family and friends and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

"It is God himself, in his mercy, who has given us this wonderful work [of telling his Good News to others] and so we never give up.
2 Corinthians 4:1, The Living Bible
~
For me, I had to get free from my food addiction and food obsession before I could spread the good news of Jesus to anyone. That's why I say that abstinence is the zero step.
~
The 12-steps of recovery was the map that got me out of the pit of despair--hopeless and helpless state of being. Therefore, I share the good news of recovery as a common ground, a mission-field, so to speak.
~
Then...down the road... if people want more, I share the gift of salvation and the joy that I have found in knowing Jesus.
~
He is my rock and the joy of the Lord is my strength.
~
I see the 12th step as an opportunity to testify that the program works.
~
It's attraction, not promotion. In other words, it's not as much what I say, but how I live my life that brings people into the fold. I often say, "preach always and if necessary use words."

1 comment:

blairshomeschool said...

The part that stands out to me in the twelfth step is "Having had a spiritual awakening..." It got me thinking to what a spiritual mess I was in the food. In the past I have thought that I didn't have time to work this program and that in the scheme of eternity, it did not matter that much if I overate. Sounds nice, but I could not do all of the things that do matter without abstinence such as taking the message of salvation to those who don't know the Lord!!

:o) Christine