Wednesday, January 23, 2008

turn-around

We say, "I'm afraid..."
God says, "I have not given you a spirit of fear, but of love, peace and a sound mind..."
Bible verse: 2Timothy 1-7
~
My oh my, this one fits me all over the place. Fear could be my middle name. I am better today, but it's still a lot of work to face my fears and "do it anyway." Or as Joyce Meyer says, "Do it afraid."
~
I went to my face-to-face 12-steps for Christians meeting last night. We are on Step 11, which is Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God... I talked about my fear of public praying and speaking. People seemed surprised because I often pray at the meeting, and I often pray on the phone when people are struggling, and I also have spoken a number of times at church and at meetings. Little did these people know how hard it is for me to step out of my comfort zone and do these things.
~
Interesting because my private prayer life is good. I love the Lord and I am not at all afraid to pray whatever comes to mind with Him. He knows me through and through even before I open my mouth, and He loves me no matter what.
~
I KNOW that it's a pride thing, but it is what it is. It seems like I will be forever working on this character trait!
~
God bless me and help me to surrender my self-centeredness and let You always do for me what I have a hard time doing for myself. (I was going to say, "what I cannot do for myself," but realized as I started to type those words that I can do all things through God who strengthens, loves and protects me.) Hopefully, one day I'll get my head in line with my heart.
~
On another note, last night God revealed something really interesting to me. The girls that pray beautifully...the ones that I look to in awe...shared that they might "look" good and "sound" good, but their private prayer life is not so good.
~
It is like the truth that I found years ago where "thin is not well" or when I went to a class for The Power of the Praying Wife and listened to all the women who were in church with their husbands...those relationships that looked "perfect" to me...AND I heard what they deal with at home. I was surprised...and went home to my husband with a new heart (grateful for him being who he is). I still pray that he'll be more openly in touch with God, and I see signs that he is getting closer, so that's what I am doing now--pray, pray, pray. It's okay. Prayer changes things according to God's will. I but need to let go and let Him handle the outcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, for being open. That's what God loves, right :)
And you're right, pray, pray, praying is the only thing that always works and it's on God's terms and his changes.
Angie.

Pam Masshardt said...

And pray some more!

Love,
Pam<><